Tuesday 8 September 2009

Back to the Chalkface

I can't believe my summer holidays have gone already.

But it wasn't all sun, sea and sangria during August - I made the sensible decision to get my first few weeks of work planned. In the final week of the holidays I made a couple of visits into school to re orientate myself with the classroom layout and deliver some of my personal belongings.

The first week of term started with a training day, which allowed me time to double check all my resources before having to confront a live audience.

Understandably they were quite a lively audience too, with lots of chattering about how well the holidays went and how much (or not) they were looking forward to embarking on the new school year.

The first couple of weeks the school was in the process of introducing new behaviour and pupil tracking systems. This meant a lot of confusion and unanswered questions for my established colleagues and an absolute nightmare of uncertainty for me.

Some of the pupils, no doubt sensing my uncertainty at the new arrangements, attempted to test the boundaries by baiting the new teacher. This is a problem many NQTs face during their first couple of months in the classroom. I regret to say that one class in particular are getting the better of me and really wearing me down.

When I accepted the job little did I realise how disorganised and poorly equipped the school was. Things that should be routine are an absolute ball ache of unnecessary petty bureaucracy. For example, if I want to photocopy something I have to take my own paper to the machine. Last week I had to buy my own paper for the copier because the school (unbelievably) ran out. What sort of school runs out of paper?

I'm not enjoying it one bit at the moment.

This term could break me.