Thursday 23 July 2009

Job Application

In the last few weeks before qualification I started looking around for my first teaching job.

I was adamant that I wanted a school just like my second placement and, as chance would have it, a promising looking job was advertised only a few miles away. I emailed them for an application pack, which I received a couple of days later. The job description was just what I wanted.

Sensing an opportunity like this was too good to miss I set about researching the school. I headed straight for their website and downloaded the prospectus, which I read cover to cover several times. I also downloaded their Ofsted inspection report, which pointed me towards the school's strengths and areas for development.

Most important of all I telephoned the school and arranged to be shown around by the Head.

I arrived for my tour after school the next day, having taken an early afternoon from my placement. The Head greeted me enthusiastically, beckoning me into his office for a chat about the school and role. He explained that the job had arisen due to restructuring within the school. We discussed his visions for the future, most of which I had already gleaned from my prior research. After 20 minutes chat the Head showed me to the lab that the successful applicant would inherit.

My visit confirmed that I wanted the job, so I feverishly set about completing the application form.

My subject mentor at my placement school double checked what I'd written. He declared how well written it was and that he'd be amazed if I didn't get an interview.

I approached the Head of my placement school and university tutor for references.

I submitted my application and waited.