Thursday 23 July 2009

Job Interview

Invitation to interview:
It was a week past the closing date before I heard anything about the job I'd applied for. Sure enough they had liked my application and invited me for interview.

The letter gave detailed information about what to expect on the day. For the sake of anonymity I shan't go into exact detail, but the day was broken into two parts - a formal interview and the delivery of a short lesson. The letter also revealed that only four applicants were being interviewed for the post.

Preparation for interview:
I had two weeks before interview to get my lesson in order. I spent a couple of days devising a rough outline of what I wanted to achieve. I took my outline plan into my placement school for my subject mentor to double check. He thought I'd knocked together a good lesson, so I put the wheels in motion and prepared my resources. It was my intention to practice the lesson on a live audience at my placement school, but I never got the opportunity. Once my lesson was sorted I spent the last few days brushing up on the latest science education and whole school issues, with particular emphasis on Every Child Matters (ECM) and Assessing Pupils' Progress (APP).

I got an early night the night before my interview, sound in the knowledge I had checked and double checked the contents of my case for the following day.

The day of the interview:
I arrived at school 10 minutes early and was shown to the staffroom. A couple of the other candidates had arrived before me. After a few introductions it quickly became apparent that one of the others was actually on my course. All of us were applying as NQTs.

The Head came into the room and introduced himself. He recognised me from our earlier encounter when he showed me around the school. He explained that we were going to be split into two pairs. One pair would be shown the school while the other pair had their interview and short lesson. The pairs would swap over later that day. The interview/lesson running order had been determined alphabetically by surname, which meant I was third to perform. The interview panel was made up of the Head, Deputy Head and a Governor.

During the tour I managed to ask a few semi-intelligent questions about the school catchment area, use of support staff and homework policy.

I was given five minutes to set up for my lesson, which seemed to pass very quickly. The lesson was to be observed by the Deputy Head and Governor, who offered a few reassuring words before I wheeled the children in. I sat the children at the starter activities where I wanted them. Apart from pausing to briefly scold some chatty children the lesson flowed to plan. To my surprise it lasted 20 minutes exactly as it should have.

My turn for interview came around quickly. Understandably the candidates before me didn't give much away about the type of questions to expect. The interview lasted about 20 minutes and consisted of a series of questions ping-ponged between the three interviewers. One question was about ECM, which allowed me to recite a near perfect answer. I was also asked about what contribution I could make to the school's extra-curricular programme and some child welfare issues. I was able to reflect on practice at my placement school, which was a very similar environment to the school I'd applied to. From the signals I'd received, particularly from the Deputy Head, I was reassured that I'd put in a reasonable performance.

I returned to the staffroom and briefly chatted to last remaining candidate waiting for interview before he was taken by the Deputy into the Head's office. As she walked by me she quickly said under her breath to expect to hear from them later - I didn't realise at the time but she was dropping me a friendly hint on the outcome.

At the end of the last interview we were gathered in the staffroom and told to expect a decision later that day.

The decision:
After the interview I went for a bite of lunch and walk around town. My mobile rang and I answered to find myself speaking to the Deputy Head.

"We'd love to offer you the job," she said.

"I'd love to accept," I replied.

The deal was done and my first teaching job was secured.

My first job application and I got the job - that's a pretty good success rate!